Yan Chuan Roasters

Peking Duck And Crispy Roast Pork At Lavender.

Most of my childhood memories around Peking duck were at high-SES restaurants perched atop fancy hotels.

I distinctly remember only eating the dish during special occasions, and longing for the next time I would get to taste that crispy parcel of ducky goodness again.

Collecting our meal as our queue number buzzed in the distance, I was amused. Instead of the typical crepe that comes with Peking duck, we were given steamed mantou as part of the set.

That, however, did not stop me from enjoying myself. I assembled my Peking duck mantou as I would have with a crepe.

Slices of cucumber lay under a thin slice of duck, finished with a blanket of glistening hoisin sauce.

Digging in, you?ll realise that the crispy skin juxtaposes dramatically against the pillowy meat. It creates a beautiful contrast of textures.

Notes of five spice powder and lingering charred bits become more apparent the more you chew, as the meat slowly ends off with a creamy, luxe finish.

In many ways, Yan Chuan Roasters? contemporary Chinese interior lends it an austere and polished vibe.

Their wood grain furniture and lantern inspired light features could pass off as a fancy restaurant anytime.

Yet, it is the joyful conversations and cacophonous chatter in the kitchen that imbue a sense of warmth and familiarity.

I?m hard pressed to find another joint that serves good quality meat at such an affordable price.

That said, one caveat I have is this: their mantou rendition of Peking Duck just doesn?t feel like Peking Duck to me.

Maybe I?ll just have to bring my own crepe next time.

I promise, it?s worth the wait.

Go early to avoid disappointment.

Drop in today! Highly recommended!

Address
809 French Road, #01-45, Singapore 200808

Operating Hours
Daily 11am to 9pm

Telephone
Nil

AVERAGE PRICE: $6 onwards

SUITABLE FOR: Lunch and Dinner

Signature: Peking Duck and roast pork